Update Period Mapping in Data Management

One of the frustrating aspects of Data Management is the number of tasks that are manual efforts.  An example of such a manual effort is creating and/or updating custom period mappings.

I needed an Explicit Mapping, so I went into Data Management > Setup > Period Mapping and selected the Source Mapping tab.  From there I chose File for the Source System and Mapping Type Explicit.  After manually entering in two years of mappings (24 lines), I took a step back to figure out another way to do it.

There is the option to export to Excel, but I’m really not sure what purpose that could be good for since there is no import functionality on the page.

Then it occurred to me that maybe if this is a migration artifact, I could get the raw LCM file and update that for importing. 

From Migration in the Planning interface, select Data Management and expand Global Setup Artifacts.  At the bottom of the list is Source Period Mapping.

Expanding Source Period Mapping reveals the artifact File. 

I select the artifact, export, and then download the zip file.  After unzipping the file, I open folders until I find what I think will be the custom mapping.  I find it at \FDMEE-FDM Enterprise Edition\resource\Global Setup Artifacts\Source Period Mapping.

I open the xml file in Notepad++ and to my happy surprise, it looks to be just what I wanted.  The MappingType and CalendarName match what I have in Data Management, and the file has the two years of entries I made. 

The entries are not in sequential order, so I do some copy/pasting to put one year in order.  Then I copy those 12 groupings and paste below being careful to leave the last row unchanged as </AdjPeriodMappingForLcmVO>

Those 12 groupings that were pasted still have 2019 as the year, so a find and replace for those groupings easily updates them to 2020.

The process is repeated for each new year needed, all the way to 2030.  I verify that the last row is unchanged from when the file was first opened for editing.

I save the file, same name, same location.  Nothing should be changed in any other files that were in the zip.  A new zip needs to be created with the changed xml and all the other files from the original.

This new zip is then uploaded in Migration.  I could import from here, but I want to open the file and verify it contains the correct artifact. 

Comfortable that it is correct, I select the artifact and Import.

Back in Data Management, I confirm that the Source Mapping now has 2019 thru 2030.

This “hack” saved me a considerable amount of time and frustration.  It took approximately 15 minutes to download the artifact, unzip, edit the xml file, rezip, upload and import.  And it was more enjoyable than keying in repetitive information for another 120 lines.

As always, happy EPM’ng!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s